Views:5 Author:Site Editor Publish Time: 2021-01-29 Origin:Site
The intercooler is generally only visible in cars with superchargers.
Because the intercooler is actually a turbocharged accessory, its role is to reduce the temperature of the high-temperature air after the boost, so as to reduce the thermal load of the engine, increase the intake air volume, and then increase the power of the engine.
For supercharged engines, the intercooler is an important component of the supercharging system.
Whether it is a supercharged engine or a turbocharged engine, it is necessary to install an intercooler between the supercharger and the intake manifold. The following is a brief introduction to the intercooler with a turbocharged engine as an example.
The role of the intercooler is to reduce the intake air temperature of the engine. So why lower the intake air temperature?
(1) The temperature of the exhaust gas discharged by the engine is very high, and the heat conduction through the supercharger will increase the temperature of the intake air. Moreover, the density of air will increase during the compression process, which also causes the temperature of the air discharged from the supercharger to increase. As the air pressure increases, the oxygen density decreases, which affects the effective charging efficiency of the engine.
If you want to further improve the charging efficiency, you must reduce the intake air temperature. Data shows that under the same air-fuel ratio, the engine power can be increased by 3% to 5% for every 10 ℃ drop in the temperature of the charge air.
(2) If uncooled supercharged air enters the combustion chamber, in addition to affecting the charging efficiency of the engine, it is also easy to cause the engine combustion temperature to be too high, causing malfunctions such as knocking, and it will increase the NOx content in the engine exhaust , Causing air pollution.
In order to solve the adverse effects caused by the temperature rise of the supercharged air, it is necessary to install an intercooler to reduce the intake air temperature.
(3) Reduce engine fuel consumption.
(4) Improve the adaptability to altitude. In high-altitude areas, the use of intercooling can use a compressor with a higher pressure ratio, which allows the engine to get more power and improves the adaptability of the car.
(5) Improve the matching and adaptability of the turbocharger.